Monday, July 9, 2012

Cheesy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole


This was super simple and tasted good!  I did mine in the oven and it turned out great.  I'm sure the slow cooker version is excellent as well.  I did not change anything about the recipe.  Served it with corn on the cob on the side!  Love that corn on the cob is in season again!  Me and my husband love it. :)

Ingredients:
1 (32 oz.) bag frozen tater tots
1 (3 oz.)bag bacon pieces
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup milk
salt & pepper, to taste

(Slow Cooker Version)

Layer half of the frozen tater tots on the bottom of the slow cooker
Sprinkle with 1/3 of the bacon pieces
Now top with 1/3 of the shredded cheese
Add diced chicken on top.  Season with salt & pepper
Now add 1/3 of the bacon pieces and another 1/3 of shredded cheese
Put the rest of the frozen tater tots on top
Finish with the remaining 1/3 cheddar cheese and remaining 1/3 of bacon pieces
Pour 3/4 cup milk all over the top

 Cover and cook on low about 4-6 hours


(Bake in Oven Version)

To make this in the oven, spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
Layer ingredients into baking dish. Cover and bake at 350F degrees for about an hour.


This recipe is gluten free!!  (just make sure to double check your tater tots and bacon)

Recipe and photo from thecountrycook.net

7 comments:

  1. Used this recipe, oven method, for a cooking class with 2 of my grandkids because it was easy enough for them to do themselves. Was quite tasty--everyone liked it. HOWEVER, when dishing it up we noticed that some of the chicken pieces came out nearly raw, and we had to microwave individual portions to finish cooking the chicken. Makes no sense...can't figure out how that could even happen. Have never had any issues with my oven, and the whole casserole came out steaming hot after an hour, covered, in the preheated oven. Next time they want to make it, I just told them to pre-cook the chicken pieces a bit in a skillet to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a great recipe. making it for the 2nd time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made this many times in the crock pot and it comes out perfect every time. I do recommend 3-4 hours versus 6 hours though, I had the chicken can dry when I first made it and let it go for over 5 hours while I was gone... Season the chicken any way you want to, I also use some garlic powder and soemtimes some hot sauce to kick it up even more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made this a couple times in the Dutch Oven while camping and boy, I tell ya, there's nothing easier or better after a day of playing on the beach or hiking in the mountains! I cut the chicken up at home, freeze it and the pack it in the ice chest, at the bottom, and it stays nice and frozen until I need it. Couple of layers in the Dutch Oven, cover it up, coals on top and bottom and in just a little while dinner is served! Not sure how long I cooked it since time flies by when camping but it was all melted, chicken done tater tots crispy around the edges and the bottom! Definitely on the repeat menu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So in the oven version..don't cook the bacon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried this in the oven. Cooked the chicken a little bit before I put it all together. I always like more cheese. This turned out great.

    ReplyDelete

  7. Luna Trim, when you need to stream pounds without doing anything consistently, please stop fitting like a violin little by little one day to change your life.
    https://bit.ly/2HHodqk

    ReplyDelete