Sunday, September 4, 2011

Amish Breakfast Casserole


For Sunday morning breakfast, I decided to do something other than pancakes and eggs. I'm usually not one to cook a fancy breakfast..my husband is the breakfast eater in the house. However, I came across this recipe and couldn't let it pass me by without trying it! It was very easy and yummy. The fun thing about this dish is you can mix it up and add different things to it! The first time around, I followed the recipe (and it was good!), but next time I think I might try adding sauteed mushrooms, peppers, and sausage! Let me know what you try! The other great thing about this dish, is it has it all in one: your potatoes, eggs, veggies, and breakfast meat! (My husband still ate it with waffles of course.) :)


Ingredients
1 pound sliced bacon, diced
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese


Directions
1.In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
2.Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

(To cut down on time, I used pre-cooked bacon and just threw my chopped onion and bacon right in with the egg-cheese mixture. I thought it was great, because the onions weren't completely soft. They still had a tiny crunch to them, which I love. If you are not a fan of onions, then definitely saute them so they are soft because then that way you won't know they are there, yet they will add great flavor to your dish.)

This entire dish is Gluten free! Yeah!

Original recipe from allrecipes.com

2 comments:

  1. FYI- This was recently made at a brunch with many friends and family members and it was a HUGE hit!! Both children and adults loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came over from Pinterest and pinned a million things from your blog and decided that I might need to follow you too. Good job! Your recipes sound amazing and I love to cook too. I found that when I turned off the word verification on my comments, they really spiked. You might consider turning it off. highpointcircle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete