Friday, September 30, 2011

Neat Sloppy Joes


I am a fan of sloppy joes in general. I grew up eating ground beef and Manwich. When I found this recipe, I thought it would be fun to make the whole thing from scratch, even the sauce! For the most part, I loved it! It was a bit too sweet for me though, so I think I will cut back on the brown sugar next time... and add a tad bit more salt. I know 1/4 cup does not sound like much to begin with, but for my personal tastes, it just ended up being a tad too sweet. It still had excellent flavor though. All of the ingredients blend well together. I did leave out the celery because neither me or my husband enjoys it. I'm considering trying to replace the celery with water chesnuts next time, to give it a little crunch. That could be yummy. ;) The other nice thing about this recipe is the sauce is not quite as runny as most sloppy joe sauces usually are. That's why they are called "neat" sloppy joes. They aren't quite as messy!

Ingredients
2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
8 hamburger buns
Directions
Place ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until evenly browned, stirring to crumble. I like to use a potato masher to even out the lumps. Add onion and celery, cover the pan, and cook until tender and transparent, about 5 minutes. Drain off any grease.
Stir the tomato soup (undiluted), ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce into the beef mixture. Season with salt and garlic powder. Heat to a simmer over low heat, and cook until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently to prevent it from burning on the bottom.
Spoon the hot beef mixture onto buns, which may be toasted first, and serve.

Gluten free: Use GF ketchup, tomato soup and worcestershire sauce, as well as GF buns.

Original recipe from allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment