Don't let the name of this dish deceive you! It is absolutely delicious! It sounds super simple and boring, but there is actually a ton of flavor in this dish. And all of the flavors just mesh so well together. I made this meal on Valentines day for me and my super special other half. And it was divine! It had such a nice fresh, citrus, herb, with a tiny kick taste. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out with all of the different flavors but we just gobbled it right up. And it is so fast to throw together too. This will definitely become a regular around my kitchen! Next time I am excited to try it with shrimp! :)
Lemon Chicken and Rice
- 1cup basmati or long grain brown rice (I used jasmine rice)
- 16oz low sodium chicken broth
- 1tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread or regular butter
- 1tbsp minced garlic
- 1tsp red pepper flakes (if desired) (I did use about 1/2 tsp, just enough for a small kick)
- 1 lemon
- 1/2lb – 1lb (chicken breast, shrimp, or canned chicken) (I used chicken)
- 2tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- In a pot add in broth, rice, butter, and garlic; bring to a boil.
- Once that starts to boil add in red pepper flakes, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Let simmer for 15-25 minutes depending on rice.
- Take off lid and add in cooked protein choice, squeeze fresh lemon in pot, and add cilantro.
- Mix all together and cover for another 3-5 minutes.
Gluten free: this recipe is gluten free! Even better!! :)
Recipe and photo found on skinnymom.com