Friday, September 30, 2011

Autumn Spice Ham Steak


I thought this would be fun to try for fall time. And it was very nice! It was easy and light. It was also fun to use apples on the ham instead of pinneapple. I made this for a book club dinner with my mom and sister and we all enjoyed it very much. We ate it with baked potatoes and a fresh salad. Very yummy. I followed the recipe exactly, so please share of any changes you make! Enjoy!

Ingredients
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 (2 pound) ham steak
1 red apple, cored and thinly sliced
1 green apple, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup maple flavored pancake syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the ham on both sides in the butter until browned. Lay the sliced apple over the ham. Pour the syrup over the apples. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally until the apples are cooked through.
Sprinkle with cinnamon, and serve immediately.

*Tip: this comes together very quickly, so don't make it in too much advance or else the ham begins to dry out and become tough. I barely fried the ham on each side...I did not wait until it was browned and then simmered on low until the apples were done- a few minutes.

Gluten free: Just double check and make sure your ham and syrup are gluten free and you are good!

Original recipe from allrecipes.com

1 comment:

  1. My family made this the other night for dinner and my mom called me up saying that they all loved it. They really enjoy the spiced apples on top as well.

    ReplyDelete