Monday, November 28, 2011

Gourmet Sweet Potato Classic


Hands down, by far the best sweet potato dish I have ever had in my entire life. Generally speaking, I am not the biggest fan of sweet potatoes anyway. I mean, I will eat them, but they are not the first thing I go to dish up on my plate. But THIS recipe is amazing. I made one batch to take to my husband's Thanksgiving and another batch for my side of the families' dinner. At both dinners, I was told it was almost like a dessert rather than a side dish, it was so yummy. Both casserole dishes were empty by the time I made my way back home after the Thanksgiving festivities. What a huge hit!

So one dish I made with 5 sweet potatoes and did the whole bit of baking and scooping and mashing, etc. The other batch I just used canned sweet potatoes and mashed those. My husband tried both batches so I could see if one was better than the other. He said no...there was a slight texture difference, but he said most people would not be able to tell the difference. Sweet! Next year I will be just using canned sweet potatoes because apparently there is no real difference in flavor when it is all said and done...AND it is so much faster!

Also, one batch I added pecans, and one batch I left them out and they were both delicious. My husband's side has nut allergies, so that is why I left them off of their batch, but it was still just as good. So if you don't like nuts or can't eat them for any reason, you can still make this dish and have it turn out wonderful! The only thing I changed was I used milk instead of heavy cream and gluten free flour. That's it! I highly recommend this dish. I can guarantee that it will be a hit at any Thanksgiving dinner- or any other time of the year too!

Ingredients
5 sweet potatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2.Bake sweet potatoes 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until they begin to soften. Cool slightly, peel, and mash.
3.In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, salt, 1/4 cup butter, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, and heavy cream. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
4.In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup butter, flour, brown sugar, and chopped pecans. Mix with a pastry blender or your fingers to the consistency of course meal. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.
5.Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until topping is crisp and lightly browned.

Gluten free: GF flour.

Original recipe from allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment