Tuesday, October 9, 2012

White Chicken Chili



I doubled this recipe and made it for a group of family that came to eat at my house and we all loved it!!  Each of us had second helpings.  It was delish.  As I mention below, I did not add any cream or half and half.  I figured with all of the cheese and sour cream on top, it would be plenty creamy.  Personally, next time I make this, I'm going to add a bit more cumin and maybe even some garlic salt to bring out all the yummy flavors in this chili.  But other than that, it was wonderful!  The green onion and jalepeno really add nice color to the dish as well.  I loved this recipe and it was a crowd pleaser as well!  Perfect for this time of year.

Ingredients

1 whole roitessiere chicken, skin removed and chicken shredded
1 sm onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced or 1 tbsp
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 can fire roasted green chilies, the whole can undrained (4 oz.)
1 can white shoepeg corn (11 oz.)
2 can(s) cannellini beans (14 -15 oz.)
2 can(s) chicken broth, low sodium 14 oz. 1/4 to 1/2 c whipping cream or half and half (I did not add this personally)
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp coriander
1 tsp oregano
2 Tbsp diced jalapenos (optional)

Toppings that I loved:

green onions, chopped
sour cream
cilantro or parsley
6 lime wedges, for squeezing juice on top
1 block of monterey jack, shredded
Tortilla chips

Directions

Saute your onions and garlic in the olive oil for 5 to 7 minutes in pot. Add your chicken broth to onions and garlic and heat up to medium. I would use 1 1/2 cans to start and add more later if need be. Add your chicken, chilies, sauteed garlic and onions, corn, beans, cumin, coriander, oregano and if using the jalapenos add them. Determine if you need more broth to make less thick and then cook for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. Next, add your cream (if desired) and dish up.

Add to your bowl of chili the monterey jack cheese which melts really easliy. Add green onions, cilantro and lime wedge on the side for additional flavor squeeze in the lime too.
Serve with tortilla chips.

Gluten free:  I boiled my own chicken because I can't always trust roitessiere chicken to be GF.  Otherwise this recipe is gluten free!


Original recipe and photo from justapinch.com

No comments:

Post a Comment