Friday, October 14, 2011

Braised Balsamic Chicken


Sometimes when you try something new, you are taking a risk at not liking it so much. This was one of those times...however, I think with some modifications it could be much better. For me, it was not my favorite. My husband didn't seem to like the flavor at all. If I were to make this again, I think I would cut WAY down on the balsamic vinegar (and I am usually a fan of it too), it was way too strong for the dish. I would also halve all the seasonings/herbs too. The overall flavor of the dish was good, but very overwhelming- meaning too much flavor. I was planning to serve this dish with a veggie and rice on the side. I ended up having to dish up a bunch of white rice and use the balsamic chicken as a small topping to my rice in order to tone down the flavor. All in all, it was ok, just really strong. I would not recommend eating it plain. Definitely eat it over rice to tame it and then it's really not too bad. And possibly halving all of it, while keeping the same amount of chicken will help tone it down as well. I think I will give it another try sometime soon and then put an updated review for you to see if it turned out better or not! I really think if the flavors are just toned down a bit, it would actually be a decent dish with a unique taste to it!

Give it a try and let me know what worked for you! Or maybe you liked it just the way it was! :)

Ingredients
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

Directions
Season chicken breasts with ground black pepper and garlic salt. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet, and brown the onion and seasoned chicken breasts.
Pour tomatoes and balsamic vinegar over chicken, and season with basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme. Simmer until chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 15 minutes.

Gluten free: this dish should be gluten free. Just double check your balsamic vinegar.

Original recipe from allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment