Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Recently, it's been rainy and I developed a nice little cold. But it just made this soup taste that much better! I love soup on a cold, rainy day and/or when I don't feel the greatest. And this one is delightful.
4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli
1 large onion, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup cream or 1 cup of milk
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion, carrot, salt and pepper and saute until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
3. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, until the flour reaches a blonde color.
4. Add stock and bring to boil.
5. Reduce to a simmer and add broccoli.Simmer uncovered until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes.
6. Pour in cream and cheese. Stir to combine and melt. Serve hot.
Gluten Free: use GF all purprose flour and GF chicken broth.
Recipe and photo from katrina-runs.com
Posted by Tasty Tidbits at 2:45 PM