Friday, January 27, 2012

Derby Pie


I have been eating Delicious Derby Pie as long as I can remember. The first four years of my life, my family lived in Lexington, Kentucky where the Kentucky Derby is a huge deal! So of course we always had a derby party where we ate burgoo and finished off the day with Derby Pie. Mmm mm. Now, I make it all the time, not just around derby time. :) Not only is it a bunch of chocolatey goodness, it is SO easy. Love it. I have not met a single person that does not like this pie. Even I am not always one to gravitate towards chocolate, and I love this. It is even better served with a scoop of ice cream on the side! Enjoy!

Ingredients
Uncooked pie crust (premade or homemade)
1 cup sugar
4 Tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup margarine, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup-1 cup pecans, chopped
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In mixing bowl, mix together sugar and corn starch. Then add melted butter and eggs. Lastly, stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Pour into uncooked pie crust. Bake 30-40 minutes. Allow to cool and set for at least 10-20 minutes after taking it out of the oven. Serve with a scoop of ice cream and enjoy a delicious Kentucky tradition! :)

Gluten free: use GF pie crust mix to make your own or use a premade crust.

Thanks mom for the super yummy recipe and tradition!!

No comments:

Post a Comment